Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy Little Trees

This week my job was to paint a simple tree in my soon to be daughters bedroom. I thought... no problem.....I'm an artsie kind of girl. I will bring out my skills from all of my past art classes, make Mrs. Wolf proud (my favorite art teacher)....this will be cake! Well maybe not yummy cake, but burnt with too much baking soda kind of cake! Ha!

Lets just say things weren't going as planned, and I was dreading this process.....then by day 3 I had a thought. I'm not sure if any of you have read, "The Last Lecture" by the late Randy Pausch. (Awesome book by the way....get out there and read it. You'll never be the same!) In his book he talks about wanting to paint his room as a child...and finally one year to his disbelief his mom said yes. So he paints....an elevator door, pandoras box, and other goofy stuff. He recalls it being one of his best childhood memories.

I had never done anything like that before! But I too....always wanted to tear down my pale blue wallpaper with the pink hearts and bows.....and paint my room red...with a big, fat, pink pig! No joke....if you knew me back then, this would make sense to you!

So anyway....I started to think....this is my chance. This isn't a chore. This is some fun shit, pardon my french...but it is! I am living out one of my childhood dreams of painting my room while I paint my daughters childhood room! All of a sudden the trees got easy, relaxing, and FUN! And guess what....they are DONE!!! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Cheers to "happy little trees!!!"


P.S. I dedicate these happy little trees to Randy Pausch and one of my favorite men....Bob Ross!

2 comments: